Chimney Safety Tips for Linda Vista?
SERVPRO® of Mission Valley East responds to fire damage emergencies every winter and wants Linda Vista residents to be safe around heating equipment. Fireplace and woodstove chimneys require routine maintenance and cleaning to avoid the dangerous buildup of creosote. Here are some tips from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for fireplace and woodstove safety:
- Do not burn unseasoned wood
- Keep glass doors open to allow air to flow freely through the flue. The longer the smoke is in the chimney, the more likely it is that creosote will form.
- Make sure the damper is open wide enough
- Do not close down the stove damper or air inlets on a wood stove too soon or too much
- In the case of wood stoves, overloading the firebox with wood in an attempt to get a longer burn time also contributes to creosote buildup
Fireplace and Woodstove Safety
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or woodstove
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least three feet from your home
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home
Call Us Today!
When your Linda Vista home or commercial business has a fire damage emergency, SERVPRO® of Mission Valley East has a team of technicians on-call and ready to respond 24-hours a day. Call us today at 619-303-3599.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.