Christmas Tree Safety Tips for Allied Gardens?
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), almost one-third of home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious, and a heat source too close to the tree causes more than one in every five of these fires.
Our local Mission Valley East team offers these Christmas tree safety tips from the NFPA:
PICKING THE TREE
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched
PLACING THE TREE
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2 inches from the base of the trunk
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
LIGHTING THE TREE
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed
Call Us Today!
Our team in Mission Valley East is Here to Help ® when you have fire damage in your Allied Gardens home or business. Call us today at 619-303-3599.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.